Prerequisite Opportunity: Earth Day on English Avenue
Civic & Community,
Animals;Families;Homeless;Low-income Communities;People with Disabilities;People with Health-based Concerns;Military/Veterans;Offenders/Ex-offenders;Visitors & Travelers;LGBT (Lesbian, Gay,Bisexual,Transgender)
Age Minimum (with Adult) - 8, Minimum Age - 16+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed, Skill Category - N/A
Earth Day on English Avenue
The mission of Friends of English Avenue is to make the English Avenue community a safer and better place to live through greenspace development and public safety initiatives, improving the broader community of Atlanta through justice, generosity, and virtue. This Earth Day, join us in bringing our mission to life as we clean and beautify the streets of English Avenue. This unique volunteer experience is a great way to make new friends and explore the English Avenue community. Projects are based on the current needs of the community. **This is a great project for family and youth volunteers, and it is part of Global Youth Service Day. *Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) is the largest service event in the world and the only one dedicated to the contributions that children and youth make 365 days of the year. PROJECTS (FROM WHICH TO CHOOSE) LISTED BELOW Clean It, Green It! Typical projects include:
- Street & Lot Clean-up: Picking up trash and debris on the street; clearing vacant lots of debris and overgrowth, etc.
- Home Landscaping: Fence staining, backyard beautification, exterior painting, and interior home clean up.
- Planting: Spreading mulch or pine straw, removing invasive plant species, mulching, and planting wildflowers.
- Tree Maintenance: Provide tree maintenance for trees originally planted by Trees Atlanta (to include mulching, and pulling weeds).
Typical projects include:
- Green House Build: Constructing green houses for the urban gardens.
- Dog Leash: Creating dog leashes for dogs who need them. This opportunity is perfect for getting the kids involved!
- Kitty condos: Constructing small cat houses for the community. This opportunity is perfect for getting the kids involved!
Typical projects include:
- Volunteer Registration: Signing volunteers in and out for their volunteer opportunity(ies).
- Refreshments Station: Organizing, replenishing, and distributing refreshments to volunteers.
Recycle It! This project entails sorting and organizing recycled items. Deliver It! This project entails delivering healthy and nutritious meals to individuals living with chronic illnesses in the English Avenue community. This is in partnership with Open Hand Atlanta. With your help, we will be one step closer to a revitalization of this historic community! LOCATION Volunteers will meet at Lindsay Street Baptist Church. Volunteers will then be given instruction on the specific location of their project. COMMITMENT -Great opportunity for individual adults, teens, families, and large groups! -Volunteer check-in will be confirmed in follow up email. -Pre-registration is required for all volunteers. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS -No previous experience necessary. -Age Requirements: Volunteers must be 8 years old with adult supervision and at least 16 years old without adult supervision. -All volunteers must sign a liability waiver prior to participation in any volunteer activities. The waiver can be found here: Volunteer Waiver. -Court ordered volunteers are accepted. Questions? Email Tonya Calhoun at email@example.com. ****To participate in our 5K run and bring the family out for a 1K Fun Run. For more information on our 5K Run and 1K Fun Run, visit: http://captainplanetfoundation.org/earthday.