A couple weeks ago Kaboom! announced their Southeast Play Everywhere Challenge with a kick-off event, right here in Atlanta. They provided general info and best practices for a successful application (their giving away $720,000 in grants to nonprofits in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami) and our team was there to learn everything so you'll have a great shot at a successful application. Hopefully this is helpful and encourages you to apply. Good luck!
HOW IT WORKS
Kaboom! is now accepting applications for grants that integrate “play” into everyday life and unexpected PLAYces - sidewalks, vacant lots, bus stops, open streets and beyond - encouraging more families to get active and play together.
Grants will be distributed for projects ranging from $2,ooo - $30,000 - noting that the smaller grants (less than $10,000) will have a much higher chance of being accepted.
SUBMITTING A GREAT APPLICATION
You’ll want to include the following details in your application:
- Who your project will serve
- Specifics around how kids and families could play more
- Where the project would take place
- Get granular here. Not just the city/neighborhood, but the exact location and elements around the location. Nearby hubs, bus/train stops, community places, etc...
- The changes you plan to make with the project
- There needs to be a physical “thing” built or created. Programs or events will NOT be accepted.
- Pop-up play areas, painting landscapes, etc...
- Community partnerships - THIS IS IMPORTANT
- Name drop! List your notable board members, corporate partners, network of nonprofits or individual donors (and why they’re a great partner), and partners you have that can help make your project possible
- Showcase how you plan to incorporate education elements through play
Click here to view/download the playbook that highlight and detail the following elements that should all be included in your project. Make it:
Learn more at https://kaboom.org/challenge